Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Neumann TLM 49


http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/xl/1600-TLM49_detail1.jpg
The Neumann TLM 49, a large diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone. This microphone is versatile for almost any application you may have for it, whether it is studio, broadcasting, vocal or even instruments. The TLM 49 uses a K47 capsule, which is also used in the M49 and the U47. The capsule provides a cardioid directional pattern with characteristics of a super cardioid, due to the special capsule construction. When I first purchased it, I knew straight out of the box that very few could stand up to such a legendary vocal microphone. Therefore, I did the exact opposite and to start, recorded everything other than vocals. First off, I recorded a guitar cab with mild distortion. The frequency curve on the microphone gave it a nice presence while having less bite than expected. Next, I recorded an Epiphone EJ-200 placing the capsule towards the lower portion of the body pointing at the bridge. The sound was very warm with more presence in the mid-range. I continued to test the TLM 49 over multiple instruments including a banjo, slide guitar, cello, violin, xylophone, and a bass. Many of these instruments would normally require two microphones to capture the full spectrum of the instrument, but the Neumann held up to the test. All this at a great price. After testing every instrument, I have available in the studio I had to bring in a vocalist and see this microphones true ability. I called in my friend Luis who was excited to come and run some tests with me. From the very start, there was that famous brilliant sound with amazing clarity. I have a locker full of very well known vocal microphones and the Neumann blew most of them out of the water. It was the sound I was looking for which made all the difference to me. My signal path is a Universal Audio 710 Twin Finity pre amplifier running threw an Allen and Heath GL 2400 console converted by RME ADi8 interfaces. Overall, the TLM49 is a superior microphone that comes with a superior price. For most places, it sells for around $1,600 US Dollars, which is a large sum for a single microphone. It may not be suitable for most small home studio budgets, but it is always a good idea to have a Neumann in the locker. I rate this piece of gear a 5 out of 5 and would recommend it for professional vocal and instrumental recordings.

Sources
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm49_description

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget